Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Hippopotamus

 

Before we move on to the Masai Mara I forgot to mention that while exploring Lake Naivasha in our small skiff we experienced our most exciting wildlife encounter.



We had cruised into a small bay area and I was at the front of the skiff shooting this hippo when it decided to enter the water.


Our guide, who had shut the outboard engine off to reduce vibration for me, was unable to restart the engine.


As I continued to shoot at the bow all I could hear was Marilyn yelling and the sound of our guide pulling on the outboard.


Finally, it kicked over, only to run us aground backwards and jam the outboard in the sediment. By now Marilyn is pretty excited. The guide is trying to push off. I’m still shooting.



Eventually the engine revs and we rip away but not before a dozen Hippos resurface from under the water all around us.

Fun fact: Hippos can hold their breathe for over 5 minutes under water. Who knew!

No comments:

Post a Comment