Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Costa Rica birding

 

We have just returned from a family vacation in Costa Rica. This was more of a resort style vacation compared to years ago when Marilyn and I flew around the country to lodge in Tortuguero, Corcovado and Manuel Antonio National Parks. This time we stayed in the Guanacaste area in the Northwest side of the country. I can’t emphasize enough how much I enjoyed my early morning hikes starting at 5am, before sunrise, to listen to the Howler monkeys growling in the forest. Early every morning there was Common Pauraque, Ferruginous Pygmy Owls and Pacific Screech Owls calling long before the forest really woke with an assortment of bird calls. Just a really cool experience.

Like I do in all countries that we visit I hired a bird guide for a day of birding. Starting at 5am we birded in Santa Rosa National Park and in the rain forest Finca Zelandia. I can honestly say that I highly recommend Olivier as a guide and companion for a day of birding. Very knowledgeable, very personable, very energetic and just an all around nice guy. Here are his contacts if you are looking for a bird guide sometime.

Olivier Esquivel Q.
Tour Leader / Birding Guide / Tour Consultant
Natural Discovery Costa Rica
info@naturaldiscoverycostarica.com
From USA & Canada: 011 506 83738963
Mobile: +506 83738963


One of the birds we did get to view in good lighting was the ever beautiful Elegant Trogon.

So, after a day of birding with a guide, a trip into the rain forest to take grandkids to see sloths and birding around the resort area I ended up with 124 species, 58 being lifers. Which I thought was pretty cool.

As with most trips of this kind I’m more interested in getting my bins on the birds for a good look before I think of photography and I do find rain forest shooting a challenge however I’m going to try and find time to start posting some of the birds.



No comments:

Post a Comment