Monday, March 22, 2021

Northern Saw-whet Owl

 

For years I got my skates sharpened at Precision Skate Sharpening in Point Edward. A trip to see Harold was never just about getting your skates sharpened. He loved talking hockey. Whether it was the Sarnia Sting or minor hockey.

We also talked about our vacation trips. Harold loved talking Alaska and I seen many of his vacation photos. His wife, Doris, also did a lot of Christmas baking and I always seemed to need my skates sharpened the week before Christmas.

Harold was also a very celebrated wood carver. One of his last projects was a Northern Saw-whet Owl. He knew I was big into photographing owls and asked if I had any photos of a Northern Saw-whet. I had been photographing Saw-whets for over a decade so had lots of cool images and printed off about a dozen of my favourite images and took them over. He picked the one he liked the best and I made an enlargement for him.

Harold passed just after completing the owl carving and I was extremely grateful when Doris asked if I was interested in keeping the carved owl. Needless to say, it is prominently displayed in our owl room.





No comments:

Post a Comment