Saturday, March 20, 2021

Red Fox

 

Back in 2009 I stumbled across a fox den in Killbear Provincial Park while out photographing Pileated Woodpeckers. I was sitting quietly on a rock watching the woodpeckers when I heard a noise behind and turned to find two Red Fox pups joyfully wrestling behind me. Like twenty feet away.

For the next week I rose early, covered as much skin as possible, soaked my face and the back of my hands in bug juice, hiked the 3 km to my spot on the Canadian Shield, sat quietly, and fox watched.

Another one of our more memorable fox encounters happened in Algonquin Provincial Park on a canoe trip with the kids. We were up on Big Trout Lake and Marilyn had just made this amazing bacon/veggie rice stir fry for supper and we were all sitting on the rocks looking out over the lake when we noticed a Red Fox had snuck into our camp and was licking out the frypan fireside.









No comments:

Post a Comment