Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Galapagos Land Iguana

 

The Galapagos Land Iguana is endemic to the Galapagos Islands.



Charles Darwin described the Galapagos Land Iguana as an ugly animal with a stupid appearance. To come face to face with this Iguana I crawled on my belly about eight feet under a tree.


Based on DNA the land iguanas and marine iguanas split about 4.5 million years ago. Land Iguanas are primarily herbivores.


The good looking Sherpa I hired to carry my equipment around the islands for me.


On one of our very first trips out west back in the 70’s I came home with a cooler full of film and after processing realized it was harder than I thought to remember exactly where and when we had seen all the wildlife. Since then we have kept meticulous logs about our travels. Best campsites, best hikes, rest stops, wildlife, side trips, gas, food, lodging, ferries and most of all bake shops!

I believe in doing as much research as I can where ever we travel. Most of our log books are fairly neat and well organized, however this is one page of my pre trip planning layout for the Galapagos of what we should see on each island plus all my chicken scratch observations of stuff we seen that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment